Hello everyone! I feel like it’s been a lifetime since I’ve posted. I have been busy since school finished; converting my hobby to my business. As you can see my website has now become www.lallnutrition.com complete with a new logo and services (soon!) BUT with all the content and fun of www.lifeaftergrains.com. I hope the slightly new look and feel resonates with you. It was hard saying goodbye to my blog name of over 2 years :’(
Well, all endings make way for new beginnings and this is just a continuation on the path. Ok, enough, on to today’s post!
The last few days I have been feeling very strange: I’ve had somewhat of a lack of appetite, only wanting to eat certain foods and flavors, and not wanting any chocolate (Mon Dieu!). This weird feeling towards food was because I was detoxing, let me explain. I had a very intense (VERY) deep muscle massage (somewhat intentional, but I got a doozy of one) and it through me into detox mode because so many toxins were released. I felt like I was sick and feverish after the massage but really wasn’t ‘sick’. I was achy, moody, cloudy, depressed, and just out of it for 3 whole days! Anyways, after all those crazy symptoms I have been slowly gaining my appetite back and craving a wider variety of food! One craving kept coming up: I wanted to consume something dense, sweet and chocolaty (finally!) and kept thinking of these power snacks I had had from Navitas. These snacks were the inspiration for today’s recipe and I used some of the key ingredients in their mix but added my own flair and opted out of any ‘natural chocolate flavor’.
These cacao-goji-maca squares have a lovely flavor: the mix of maca and raw cacao make them taste a bit smoky, which I like. The dates lend a caramel flavor and the chia seeds give them some crunch. The goji berries add a hint of colour and a ton of antioxidants. Last but not least the pumpkin seed base I used packs a nutritional punch in terms of zinc and anti-parasitic action, oh yummy!
Makes 8 x 1” squares, Please use organic for the most nutrition and least chemicals!
- ½ cup of pumpkin seeds (sprouted and dried is best)
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maca
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 medjool dates
- Sprinkle of Himalayan pink salt
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp filtered water
- Add pumpkin seeds to a food processor and pulse until fine but not until it turns to butter.
- Add raw cacao, maca, goji berries, dates and pulse until well combined.
- Add coconut oil, salt and water and pulse until dough like.
- Remove dough and press into a pan to a height of 1”. Divide and cut into 8 pieces.
- You can store these yummy gems in the freezer but is best to devour immediately!
Better for you ingredients:
- One of the best sources of plant-based zinc
- Zinc is needed for a healthy immune system, healthy skin, healthy sperm + prostate, and in joint health
- Protein rich, also contains the amino acid tryptophan which promotes sleep
- Contains manganese (free-radical scavenger, therefore less unnecessary aging), magnesium (for muscle relaxation and proper fat metabolism), iron (for healthy blood)
- Contain phytosterols which are a naturally occurring compound with cholesterol-lowering properties (yay heart health!)
- Contains omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids which cannot be manufactured in the body and must be obtained through diet
- Ancient Peruvian superfood
- An adaptogen which allows the body to stay in the resistance stage in a stress response longer preventing ‘crashing’ or ‘burning out’
- Used to balance the body’s endocrine system
- Aids in reproductive function by balancing hormones and increasing fertility
- Considered a superfood and found natively in the Himalayas
- Contain a large dose of vitamin C which is good for immunity, combating free radical damage, stress, and heart health
- Contain more beta-carotene than carrots gram for gram
- Beta-carotene converts to vitamin A in the body and is needed for healthy eyes, skin and a well functioning digestive tract
More about Chia here and raw cacao here
Want more health tips and tricks?
Take a peek on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram
What Are YOU Truly Hungry For? Guide + Video Training
Join and get a FREE gift and weekly inspiration to live your healthiest life.