Before I start I must admit that I am not a huge ice cream fan. Don’t get me wrong I love it when I have it but it’s not a crazy craving of mine but my fiancé loves it. I thought I would make him a treat and put on my apron. That’s right I found a recipe that I was comfortable with and made a raw, dairy free, nutrient dense and yummy dessert. To my surprise I succeeded and success tastes amazing! This ice kream is insane, the flavors blend into a magical, light, rich and creamy dessert.
I was inspired by an ‘ice kream’ recipe in Ani Phyo’s book “Ani’s Raw Food Desserts”. In my version I added cardamom which makes it tastes lighter and helps with digestion. I also opted to replace agave with grade B maple syrup. Agave is as high in fructose as high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and is not necessarily raw. I would rather have dark maple syrup as it contains a higher amount of minerals and not as much fructose which makes it easier on the body. While this is not an everyday treat it’s definitely better than conventional ice cream 🙂
All organic if possible, makes 2-4 servings
- ¾ cup cashews
- ¼ cup soaked almonds
- 1/3 cup grade B maple syrup
- ¼ shredded coconut
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
1. Combine all ingredients in a high speed blender until well mixed.
2. Pour into container and place in freezer for 3-4 hours.
3. Mix well after 4 hours and place back in freezer mixing on the hour for hours five, six and seven.
4. Remove and devour when at desired consistency!
- high in antioxidants; digestive and diuretic properties
- found to inhibit growth of cancer cells in the colon
- source of minerals; potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and manganese
- rich in vitamins including niacin, riboflavin, vitamin C
Grade B Maple Syrup*
- has a lower glycemic index than sugar
- contains more minerals to help with its digestion thus it is less toxic in the body than sugar
*even though grade B maple syrup is considered ‘healthier’ than sugar it should still be used in moderation!
- contains healthy fats
- has anti-fungal properties
- nourishes the thyroid
- contains medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) that are used as energy rather than stored as fat, making it a quick energy source
- very heat stable and can be used as a safe cooking oil