Today I wanted to share with you a bit more about why just healing your trauma is not going to help you resolve your emotional eating.
I wanted to talk about this because I’ve had clients that have worked through trauma, have done different layers of this work and it doesn’t help them resolve their emotional eating. And while I love talking about trauma and we do address specific trauma inside of The Emotional Eating Evolution Program, it’s not everything.
I’ve had clients that have done doctor assisted psychedelics to help with trauma, they have done somatic work to help with trauma, they have gone to trauma therapists.
So it is a piece of the puzzle, but it’s not the full picture. Clients are aiming for resolution, to feel at ease around food, to feel at ease in their body, to feel peace. So it can be really frustrating when we are doing the “thing” but not getting the results.
It’s not specific…
Part of the reason when we do just trauma work, it doesn’t work is because it’s not specific to the Emotional Eating pattern. It’s not looking at all layers, it’s not creating a new structure to move forward.
A lot of the practitioners that are helping, are not trained in nutrition, they’re not trained in the body, and they haven’t experienced this pattern themselves. I think it’s great to be an expert in a field, but having a lived experience and going through that pattern yourself helps you to get into the nitty gritty of what your client is experiencing. Because I’ve gone through this journey myself and I had to turn over every rock and stone to figure it out, I have a really in depth understanding of what’s going on.
When I look back at all of the things I tried, they were very disconnected and very disjointed. The practitioners I was going to see didn’t understand what I was going through. They had some awareness, yes, but they couldn’t put a name to what was going on. They didn’t understand the process and they had a limited experience with it, which left me feeling really frustrated when I look back.
Things I tried:
- I went to talk therapy, which is just looking at issues on the surface, it’s in the conscious mind. It’s not going into the body where we hold these subconscious patterns.
- I went to a nutritionist who didn’t understand emotional eating. Restriction, control and willpower doesn’t help.
- Or going to see a personal trainer to burn off the body shame.
- Or going to a chiropractor to help work on your nervous system.
All of this is very disconnected and disjointed and when you don’t have an idea of what’s really going on with this pattern, when you can’t sink into the root, into the core, you can feel really lost and out of control.
I felt like that for many years and I had to really dig in and drop in to figure this out. That’s why I can say just looking at your trauma is not going to be the only thing that helps you in this pattern. We need to look at this holistically and in a multilayered way. That means that we’re getting specific about our emotional eating and we’re learning a structure that’s going to hold us and we’re really understanding this pattern from the root.
Check out the video below for more on:
- Emotional Eating as a coping mechanism.
- The layers to this pattern
- Our relationship to food gets distorted, learning a new way
- Our relationship to our body can put us in shame spirals, and moving past this
- Our emotional wellness was not developed and that impacts this pattern and how we can transform it
- A new model that connects us back to us on all levels
If this is resonating for you and you’d like to start on that journey to resolving your emotional eating, I’d love to invite you to find out more about The Emotional Eating Evolution Program HERE and apply to work with us.
Certified Holistic Nutritionist Specializing in Emotional Eating