The weather has started to really shift where I am. We had a bit of a warmer fall and now the temperatures are dropping and that means less sun. I’ve noticed my skin starting to get drier as the wind picks up. Since I am all for prevention, in this video I want to share how to keep your skin glowing from the inside out and outside in.
Check out the video for more or scroll down below!
Glowing Skin from the Inside Out // Foods
1. Avocado – I love avocado. They contain amazing healthy fats and are a whole food. When these fats are incorporated into our cellular membrane they help to create a better barrier to moisture loss. Meaning our skin will have lubrication from the inside out. The quality of the fat in avocado helps to create healthy cells.
2. Chia seeds – Chia seeds contain an amazing source of plant based omega-3 fats. These fats are essential fats and are anti-inflammatory. When these fats are incorporated into the cellular membrane they make it more fluid. This fluidity allows nutrients in and waste out creating healthier cells. Chia is also rich in amino acids, the building blocks of protein. Collagen, one of the main proteins in our skin needs amino acids in order to maintain it’s integrity.
3. Soaked Almonds -Almonds contain vitamin E, an important antioxidant that protects the skin. Almonds also contain amino acids to help with collagen. Vitamin E and C work synergistically. See lemons for more below!
4. Lemons – I love lemons! They are an amazing food. I will focus on the vitamin C content of these nutritional powerhouses. Vitamin C is a potent water soluble antioxidant. Vitamin C only lasts about 4 hours in our system before any excess is urinated out. Vitamin C is crucial for skin health and works with vitamin E to help synthesize collagen. As we ‘age’ collagen production can decrease. But if you take care of your overall health this can be reduced significantly!
NOTE: Vitamin A is also important for glowing skin as it helps with healthy skin turnover. Some great foods are spinach, kale, sweet potatoes.
Glowing Skin from the Outside In // Products
1. Good quality organic cold-pressed oil. Some examples include rose hip oil, jojoba, and coconut oil. Depending on your skin you might need a serum. As the weather gets more harsh I usually use a mixture of oils.
2. Dry skin brushing + Abhyanga oil massage before shower. I usually use coconut, sesame or almond oil depending on what my skin needs. Dry skin brushing helps to brush off dead skin cells and the oil massage relaxes the nervous system. Massaging allows the oil to get deeper into the skin, especially in the shower where your pores open up. I’ve definitely noticed a difference in my skin!
4. Getting an organic facial. I usually do this 2-3 times per year. It is a great way to pamper yourself. Relaxing and pampering always translates to better health and beautiful skin!
There you have it some ways you can create glowing skin from the inside out and outside in. I hope this video has helped you and if you have any questions please be sure to ask!
To glowing skin,