In today’s video I wanted to talk about the liver. Yes, the liver – it is an amazing powerhouse organ. It IS the main detoxifying organ in the body cleaning our blood and making it more healthy.
The liver also does the following:
- processes nutrients
- metabolizes fat
- balances blood sugar levels
- breaks down alcohol and medications
- clears pathogens from the blood
I don’t know about you but all those functions sound amazing to me. Pollutants are found everywhere from our environment, our food, to our thoughts and emotions. The liver helps us to clear all that toxicity out! Whatever is not serving the body is filtered out by the liver and sent to the colon to be expelled.
The liver is such an amazing organ. The liver can be easily regenerated even if we have abused it.
Check out the video here OR scroll down for more!
So here are 3 foods that will help boost the liver more this season:
1. Lemon – lemons are a simple and amazing food. They contain enzymes that are similar in structure liver enzymes. This feature helps the liver regenerate itself without taxing the body. So lemon water in the morning is a great boost to the liver and system.
2. Dandelion leaves and root – I love dandelion greens in a juice. They are a bitter green and astringent. This helps to stimulate bile in the liver and cleanses out the liver. I’m not one for sautéing my greens as I prefer them raw but you can try sautéing them. Let me know if you do!
3. Milk Thistle Tea or Tincture – I love milk thistle and use it periodically to boost my liver. It helps to eliminate heavy metal buildup, prescription medication, environmental pollutants and alcohol from the liver. Milk thistle contains silymarin a compound that helps strengthen the liver cell walls. Silymarin also supports liver regeneration.
So there you have 3 amazing foods for the liver. The better our liver functions the better our health and beauty will be and the better we will feel!
Please let me know if you have any questions and please share with those that need a little liver boost.